Saturday, May 8, 2010

Bloomington Orientation

Well, the big pull for me to the orientation was to get the itinerary. I've been dying to know where we will be going, and was THRILLED to find out that we were going to places other than Shanghai, Xi'an, and Beijing. I admit to being a little bummed that there is no time for Hong Kong Disneyland (a girl can dream), but there are SOOOOOO many fun things to do that the disappointment quickly left. I'm extremely lucky to be going on this trip, and no Disney park is going to stand in my way, darn it!

The orientation was a lot of fun. I met all of the trip participants, and I think that we are going to be a good group. My roommate for the night Mona was a blast, and I am sure that we will have fun in China. We had lectures about the Great Wall, education in China, a brief (very brief) introduction to Chinese, a look at Chinese history, and some videoconferencing with people in Xi'an and Shenzhen. We had a group dinner at the Chow Bar in Bloomington, which has some SERIOUSLY good Chinese food. I'm not a huge tofu eater, but the Szechuan tofu there was killer! I also grabbed a bubble tea (you have to try it). We watched a movie Saturday night called Please Vote for Me, which was about a democratic election held in the second grade in China for class monitor. Very enlightening. Sunday we took our luggage on a tour of the Student Union to see how weel we could manage our luggage. I consider myself a packing pro now, so it was no problem at all. We also got some packing tips and an introduction to our curriculum project.

It was a fun weekend, and I am definitely looking forward to leaving! I've bought my plane ticket to Chicago, secured my seats on that flight and the ones to/from China, and have nothing to do now but wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment